We all have had couscous one day or another. You know, that little yellow grains that you put in boiling water for three minutes? Well, forget everything you know and get ready to discover the REAL Moroccan couscous!
As you know, preparing couscous is a long and hard work, reason why the cooking process has to be long enough to respect the preparation effort.
What you might not know is that couscous is a Tamazight recipe and not an Arab one and that, in the Berber language, it´s called seksu. It is eaten on Friday, because it takes quite a long time to digest it and on Friday, after the big prayer, everyone can rest and let their body work the couscous.
Here we are going to learn how to make the amazing seksu (please consider that here they usually prepare a huge amount of couscous, because they can keep it in fridge for a few days).
What you need:
- the couscous-pot (you can use what you have at home, of course, but here they use that one)
- a big pie dish
Ingredients for 4 people (I am writing the vegetarian recipe, but you can add the meat that you want)
- couscous 500 gr
- onions 2
- carrots 2
- potatoes 2 or 3
- courgette 2
- chickpeas 50 gr
- raisin 50 gr
- tomatoes 2 or 3
- oil 3 spoons more or less
What to do:
- wash, chop (big parts) and peel the onions, potatoes carrots and chickpeas, put everything is the lower part of the pot and start simmering. Add some salt. If you want to use meat, it should be added here and now;
- meanwhile you should moisten the couscous with some cold water and knead it with your hands: there must be no lumps;
- put the couscous in the upper part of the pot (steam cooking) for 30 minutes;
- take the couscous out of the pot and put it in a big pie dish, spray it with some cold water and work it again with your hands. Add salt and oil;
- put your couscous again in the upper part of the pot adding the raisins, tomatoes, courgette and coriander. It should cook for another half an hour;
- put everything together in a big dish. The couscous should be under the vegetables (and the vegetables should not me thrown there, but put radially. And, if there is an entire chicken added to the menu -see the picture below- it should be put on top of everything).
And one more thing: here everyone eats from the same big dish and they don´t use forks, spoons or knives: they eat using bread. I don´t do it because I lose everything contained in my little slice of bread “on the road” between the dish and my mouth.